Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Build Updated!

OK, well some of you know that I was going to do my new build which consisted of AMD products including the HD 6850 card in crossfire!

ROFL, Intel has done something to keep me buying they're products!

What changed my mind you say? the new i-series chips released by Intel socket 1155

my new build changes mobo,processor, and ram:

ASUS P8P67 EVO
    Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
    Patriot Gamer 2 Series 4GB ddr3 1600

eventually replacing my 9800gt card with 2x EVGA GTX 460 SE 1GB

total price came up to $15 more then my original plan with AMD.
    Wow way to go Intel, prices more comparable to the AMD's

What do you guys/gals think?

j

Looks like the only thing I would change is the ram, get 6 or 8gb.

Quote Originally Posted by jonisgod
    can I run triple on a dual ram processor? Cause for 6gb would cost me 10 dollars more, 8gb would be 40 dollars more!

I plan on getting 4gb more down the road!

j

This is just a person response. But I would have gone with the 1090T six core over the i5... I would have also chosen the AMD 970 black edition 3.5 at $180 over the i5. Motherboard I would have gone with the crosshair iv formula 890fx and corsair 1600 xmx 4 gig strips with 4 of them at $200 total would have given you 16 gigs of ram and the asus 6870. total cost around $800

That is just my personal choice.
    I hope to see pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    This is just a person response. But I would have gone with the 1090T six core over the i5... I would have also chosen the AMD 970 black edition 3.5 at $180 over the i5. Motherboard I would have gone with the crosshair iv formula 890fx and corsair 1600 xmx 4 gig strips with 4 of them at $200 total would have given you 16 gigs of ram and the asus 6870. total cost around $800

I hope to see pictures
    Thanks but looking at the numbers the new i5 sandy bridge 2500 surpasses all AMD except for the AMD Opteron 6176 SE, see for urself:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...00+%40+3.30GHz

j

Quote Originally Posted by jgrts201
    can I run triple on a dual ram processor? Cause for 6gb would cost me 10 dollars more, 8gb would be 40 dollars more!

j
    It depends on how many slots your MOBO has for ram. My dad's new PC has 4 slots capable of 32gb :lol: For 10 dollars more you should deifnitely spend it to get 6gb dude.

j
    It depends on how many slots your MOBO has for ram. My dad's new PC has 4 slots capable of 32gb :lol: For 10 dollars more you should deifnitely spend it to get 6gb dude.
    The new mobo's for the socket 1155 hold 32gb.....running triple channel on a double channel board, is that possible and still get the ram speeds?

j

Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    This is just a person response. But I would have gone with the 1090T six core over the i5... I would have also chosen the AMD 970 black edition 3.5 at $180 over the i5. Motherboard I would have gone with the crosshair iv formula 890fx and corsair 1600 x 4 gig strips with 4 of them at $200 total would have given you 16 gigs of ram and the asus 6870. total cost around $800

I hope to see pictures
    Thanks but looking at the numbers the new i5 sandy bridge 2500 surpasses all AMD except for the AMD Opteron 6176 SE, see for yourself:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...00+%40+3.30GHz

j
    From reading around several forums like toms hardware and OC- the difference between the two wasnt noticeable. From the research they did the i5 was faster but not by much and not noticeable. They did however say the 965 BE AMD cpu and the i5 gave the same noticeable performance in gaming and the 965 BE is 10-30% cheaper. They also noted in all the test- for multimedia, video editing and graphics the 1090T out ran the I5 sandy. This is just from reading and not testing myself.

Another point they made was that with the AMD boards you can upgrade and upgrade as other 6,8, 12 core AMD chips come available. However with a i5 sandy motherboard a person is forced to replace not only the chip but motherboard as well. Again just from reading and not my own Intel - intelligence. As I am not very savvy in the Intel market.

just remember- if you later decide for the 1366 socket you will need to replace the mobo. however this isn't the case for AMD. AMD just came out with the 1100T hex core which is at 3.7Ghz turbo at $265 and next month the next comes out at 4.1Ghz turbo at 3.7 standard speed for $290

Well said PAID! You sound like professor teaching a student.

Senior Moderator
    Paid, I think you mean XMS or maybe XMP, but I like the specs of what you suggested. Do you have a link for the Corsair, is it (4) 4g sticks for a total of 16g? I would imagine your going to want/have to run Win 7 (64)? Took your list to newegg and going with the 6 core without the ram the cost was around $700 and $655 using quad core. Why wouldn't you go with the Crosshair IV Extreme?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information