Tivo/DVR question

When a person tivo's or DVR's something does the show get the ratings as if you watch it live at the time slot? I cant seem to find the answer on the web and have always wondered this.

Meaning when you record a show or movie does it automatically have a rating :?: Like rated 5 stars and rated PG13 :?: A little confused on what your asking.

A TV show will get a rating IE how many people watch it...be it a 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and so on. When a person DVR or Tivo a show do that tv show get that view number as in 1.5 million watched and so on. Does your view number get counted.

Well I am currently running Direct TV and on my DVR It only shows the ratings with stars. Not amount of people who viewed it. So I cant really tell you. have you just tryd hitting your info button? If you have one?

The numbers will not be in the dvr but in the view numbers each station collects IE USA network, Spike and so on. Also, this is important in stock shares as viewer numbers will cause shares to fluctuate.

I have wondered this as some shows will show a 3.0 viewer right. However if a show has 100,000 people dvr or tivo it- and those are not counted then the numbers would accually be lower than the accual viewer population of a show. In return effecting share cost.

An educated guess on my part ............ I'm 99% sure that they would get the ratings. Reason being is that the only way they can tell that you are watching something is by what channel your digital tuner is set to. If you are TIVOing or DVRing a program, it still requires a tuner set to that channel during the recording cycle. They may even be sophisticated enough to know when you are watching it live VS recording it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke
    An educated guess on my part ............ I'm 99% sure that they would get the ratings. Reason being is that the only way they can tell that you are watching something is by what channel your digital tuner is set to. If you are TIVOing or DVRing a program, it still requires a tuner set to that channel during the recording cycle. They may even be sophisticated enough to know when you are watching it live VS recording it.
    That makes since. So in essence a DVR could accually give a view number to, two shows at once...Also, watching from a tuner card on a PC or streaming a show online could give a buy right as well.

Thread Information