Thread: Internet speed

Internet speed

Hey guys, i got a small problem, i have 5 pc's in my house and im the only person who plays online games, i have a sister that uses her web cam on her laptop and thats the problem there i believe, i need to like filter traffic because he webcam seems to suck the net dry of all the bandwidth,

i Have a"Rangemax Wireless Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router DGN3500"
    i use wired and all the other pc's use the wireless part

now what i have been trying to do is find out how to limit bandwidth to certain pc's, at first i thought i could do that with in the router itself but i cant figure that out

so if anyone knows how to do it or know any software i can use it would be a big help

thanks, cmadd14

Re: Internet speed

Quote Originally Posted by cmadd14
    Hey guys, i got a small problem, i have 5 pc's in my house and im the only person who plays online games, i have a sister that uses her web cam on her laptop and thats the problem there i believe, i need to like filter traffic because he webcam seems to suck the net dry of all the bandwidth,

now what i have been trying to do is find out how to limit bandwidth to certain pc's, at first i thought i could do that with in the router itself but i cant figure that out

so if anyone knows how to do it or know any software i can use it would be a big help

thanks, cmadd14
    you could open up some ports, or close her ports :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Re: Internet speed

Quote Originally Posted by jonisgod
    Quote Originally Posted by cmadd14

thanks, cmadd14
    you could open up some ports, or close her ports :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    .. Opening up ports or closing ports will not solve the problem.. nor will they increase speed.

The problem might just be that you have a limited connection speed and because so many people are using it at the same time it becomes slow for users on it. This is something that happens at every household.

Being on wireless as well isn't going to help the situation because every wall the signal has to travel through it gets weaker and weaker.

The best situation here is to

1. Purchase faster internet
    2. Change over to a wired connection instead of wireless

I have ADSL2+ 24mb line, i can get speeds up to about 3mbps, but what im saying is, when she uses like her webcam or what ever she does on the internet it starts laggin out any online games im playing,

I use local area connection which allows me to connect to my modem at 1gbps but of course thats not the speed of the net Duh

everyone else uses Wireless, i would never go wireless

I just thought they was a way to limit bandwidth to users via Software or via the router itself

find your routers IP (should be in the router paperwork). log into it with administrators password. In the router there will be a setting to limit bandwidth to certain mac addresses. Each system will show the MAC address from there you can limit to each one.

your routers IP address is: 192.168.0.1

Or get a router that has this feature built in that can be done on the fly.

there are several that allows this and here are a few (as examples only):

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=377018

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127270

Thread Information