Need intel on VC bit

OK so this might be a different discussion!! Question about the difference between VC-bit

I was wondering(for my new build) what would be the better choice to get

1) a VC with 448-bit GDDR3 x 2

or

2) a VC with 256-bit GDDR5 x 2

I know the DDR5 cards are faster but do they perform better then the 448-bit GDDR3 cards(FPS wise)?

thanks,

j

This is interesting, can any1 here verify this discussion?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1329318

seems to me they are trying to say that a GDDR5 x256 card would be better then a GDDR3 x448 .....

j

Re: Need intel on VC bit

Quote Originally Posted by jgrts20
    OK so this might be a different discussion!! Question about the difference between VC-bit

or

I know the DDR5 cards are faster but do they perform better then the 448-bit GDDR3 cards(FPS wise)?

thanks,

j
    In terms of which one is "faster" that would be the GDDR5 but in terms of better quality and compatibility stick with the GDDR3. The bit rate on a card typically stands for how much memory bandwidth the card can support, so even though GDDR5 is technical a newer model, it still is less superior to the GDDR3 because of the bit rate.

If you aren't a hard-core gamer than it doesn't really matter, but if you want something that is pure performance stick with the GDDR3.

On a 2nd note.. typically most GDDR3 cards start at 128bit and medium cards are around 256 bit, so if you found a card that has more than that than you are golden. Versus the GDDR5 card which is medium

well the GDDR3 is rated at 448-bit 896MB and the GDDR5 is rated at 1GB 256-bit. Also was looking, there's a 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 card also(GTX470)

so inturn which one would be better and yes I'm talking about the GTX460 and of course I will be running them in SLI

well the GDDR3 is rated at 448-bit 896MB and the GDDR5 is rated at 1GB 256-bit. Also was looking, there's a 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 card also(GTX470)

so inturn which one would be better and yes I'm talking about the GTX460 and of course I will be running them in SLI
    Right so you should go with the GDDR3 one which was my point .. No game out there is going to need or require over 1 GB of video memory. 896MB is plenty.

The 460 is a good option.. pricing is decent.. little high but companies have to make a profit right?

I say stick with the GDDR3 and enjoy the new card!

Re: Need intel on VC bit

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dee

or

thanks,

j
    In terms of which one is "faster" that would be the GDDR5 but in terms of better quality and compatibility stick with the GDDR3. The bit rate on a card typically stands for how much memory bandwidth the card can support, so even though GDDR5 is technical a newer model, it still is less superior to the GDDR3 because of the bit rate.

If you aren't a hard-core gamer than it doesn't really matter, but if you want something that is pure performance stick with the GDDR3.

On a 2nd note.. typically most GDDR3 cards start at 128bit and medium cards are around 256 bit, so if you found a card that has more than that than you are golden. Versus the GDDR5 card which is medium
    whats mine then? mine is 512bit is that platinum? :P

Majority of the newer drives are GDDR5, it's capable of handling more GB/pixels.

Thread Information