Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AMD X6 processor

Just wanted to get some feedback on the new AMD 6 core processor, read up on it some and looks like it's very overclocking friendly! Has any1 here bought and used one yet?

thanks,

j

OK then if nobody has heard about it yet see it here:

http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/6co...%2f160x350.jpg

Oh we have heard of it, and it's a hot commodity. More than enough for a gaming or multi-tasking box. Price is right too I will be using it when I have my new one built later this summer

Just bought a x4 965be a week before it came out so I would rather say it dosnt exist :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by rogersten
    Just bought a x4 965be a week before it came out so I would rather say it dosnt exist :lol:
    That sucks man. Should have waited lol.

Don't get it waste of money for an AMD system, only around half a dozen applications does it actually smash other quad core cpu's from AMD's own lineup or Intel's lineup.

A few places have compared the i7 930/920 and the 1090T. At stock settings (as I said before) only half a dozen apps favour the 1090T by less then 5% margin and the rest it gets dominated byt the i7 cpus by around 8-15%.

Various websites then pushed both cpu's up to 3.6ghz each and again at 4.0ghz each and ran the same tests and the i7 beat the 1090T by very solid 5-18% margins. The 965BE actually does better at high clock settings then the 1090T.

Again same arguement comes through as most applications are not coded to take advantage of all the extra cores/threads, so for now stick with your dual and quad cores they are more then enough.

Also most games these days are console ports and only use 3 cores/threads properly so anything more is a waste unless your using a application that can handle multiple threads at once and your using this application everyday for a few hours.

As a "drop-in" upgrade I think its AMD flogging a dead horse and trying to push a CPU on the market that can compete with the i7 lineup toe to toe (even if its only the middle section of cpu's) the 965 BE does a better job.

AMD need to push out Bulldozer ASAP to remain in the game or else Intel will keep jacking up the prices of their future cpu's.

The good thing is people with older AMD mobo's can simply do a bios flash and drop this cpu in as they can with any of AMD's new cpu's. I feel the whole 6 core thing is a e-penis thing ("I have more cores then you" mentality) as the 965BE from AMD is a fine cpu and perfect flagship cpu. This is just overkill.

They should have saved the resources wasted with this release and spent it on Bulldozer, as consumers we need Bulldozer out now before Intel's cpu's blow AMD's totally away and we get forced to buy $500-$1000 cpu's.

Livin' Life , feelin free. Thats the way it's supposed to be
    I'm running Intel i7 860 , and 16 GB of ram. So responsive, I think its 3ms response time?

And very overclocking freindly overclocked it 15%

Quote Originally Posted by jst2good
    Don't get it waste of money for an AMD system, only around half a dozen applications does it actually smash other quad core cpu's from AMD's own lineup or Intel's lineup.

A few places have compared the i7 930/920 and the 1090T. At stock settings (as I said before) only half a dozen apps favour the 1090T by less then 5% margin and the rest it gets dominated byt the i7 cpus by around 8-15%.

Various websites then pushed both cpu's up to 3.6ghz each and again at 4.0ghz each and ran the same tests and the i7 beat the 1090T by very solid 5-18% margins. The 965BE actually does better at high clock settings then the 1090T.

Again same arguement comes through as most applications are not coded to take advantage of all the extra cores/threads, so for now stick with your dual and quad cores they are more then enough.

Also most games these days are console ports and only use 3 cores/threads properly so anything more is a waste unless your using a application that can handle multiple threads at once and your using this application everyday for a few hours.

As a "drop-in" upgrade I think its AMD flogging a dead horse and trying to push a CPU on the market that can compete with the i7 lineup toe to toe (even if its only the middle section of cpu's) the 965 BE does a better job.

AMD need to push out Bulldozer ASAP to remain in the game or else Intel will keep jacking up the prices of their future cpu's.

The good thing is people with older AMD mobo's can simply do a bios flash and drop this cpu in as they can with any of AMD's new cpu's. I feel the whole 6 core thing is a e-penis thing ("I have more cores then you" mentality) as the 965BE from AMD is a fine cpu and perfect flagship cpu. This is just overkill.

They should have saved the resources wasted with this release and spent it on Bulldozer, as consumers we need Bulldozer out now before Intel's cpu's blow AMD's totally away and we get forced to buy $500-$1000 cpu's.
    AMD will never bulldoze INTEL when it comes to performance. That being said, INTEL will be releasing the 970 with locked multipliers at a cheaper price. Save them greens up.

Your not wrong there mate, BUT as consumers we need a secondary company pushing out cpu's or else Intel will have a solid monopoly and we'll be paying extreme prices for cpu's.

I have a i7 920 system sitting here and it kills everything, I also have a pII 965 system which keeps up with it both at 3.8/4ghz.

We need AMD's Bulldozer to be a solid platform to keep Intel's prices down. Otherwise future cpu's will be very pricey

Quote Originally Posted by jst2good
    Your not wrong there mate, BUT as consumers we need a secondary company pushing out cpu's or else Intel will have a solid monopoly and we'll be paying extreme prices for cpu's.

I have a i7 920 system sitting here and it kills everything, I also have a pII 965 system which keeps up with it both at 3.8/4ghz.

We need AMD's Bulldozer to be a solid platform to keep Intel's prices down. Otherwise future cpu's will be very pricey
    It's always been that INTEL price is up there. now if AMD will follow ATI's footstep as they are doing with graphics card, AMD will shine just like ATI.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information