Thread: Advice!:)

Advice!:)

I have about $700 to spend.

I am looking to upgrade the following..

- Power Supply
    - Graphics Cards
    - Case

I want to get SLI or Crossfire cards. I need a power supply that can support the cards. I want a new case so everything fix nicer, I want a big case! lol

So, what should I get?

I have the P5N-E SLI Mother board from Asus and the Intel Quad Core Q9650. Those two things can't change right now. Just the 3 things listed above.

Thanks!

Edit - Decided to keep my current case for the time being. Need SLI/Crossfire GFX Cards and a new PSU. Thanks!

First off, sorry for the late reply.

You mention wanting to go SLI/CF, however from the top of my head your P5N-E SLI is a 650i chipset motherboard and thus only supports SLI only at dual PCIe 8x 1.1, the graphics cards your being looking at will be PCI-Express 2.0+ which although still compatible, the graphic cards could be potentially severely bottlenecked when operating in SLI.

I'd suggest settling for 1 card unless you want to invest in a new motherboard from the P45 chipset family.

Also, whilst on the topic of SLI/CF, have you got at least a 24"+ monitor capable of displaying at least a 1920x1200+ resolution, as otherwise it's a waste adding a second card at the same cost and even then you can get an easily affordable card which can handle any game at high settings at that resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by chaostehgreat
    First off, sorry for the late reply.

You mention wanting to go SLI/CF, however from the top of my head your P5N-E SLI is a 650i chipset motherboard and thus only supports SLI only at dual PCIe 8x 1.1, the graphics cards your being looking at will be PCI-Express 2.0+ which although still compatible, the graphic cards could be potentially severely bottlenecked when operating in SLI.

I'd suggest settling for 1 card unless you want to invest in a new motherboard from the P45 chipset family.

Also, whilst on the topic of SLI/CF, have you got at least a 24"+ monitor capable of displaying at least a 1920x1200+ resolution, as otherwise it's a waste adding a second card at the same cost and even then you can get an easily affordable card which can handle any game at high settings at that resolution.
    Ha, lol shut down. Okay, what card would you recommend if I only got one of them? Since I am only getting one card, I'll upgrade my ram since I only have 2 GB. What card should I get?

ATI HD 5850/5870 1GB, depends entirely on your needs though and how much your willing to spend.

So you think this card will be better then an Nvidia card? I only have 550 watt PSU, will I need to upgrade that too or will I be good?

Also what ram should I get?? I have these right now. I want to go to 4GB, I have 2 right now. I don't know if I should just buy two more or those or go to completely different ones?

Send me links if you can

Nvidia have still yet to release their DX11 cards and a 5870 1GB is far better value for money than anything Nvidia have out at present.

As for RAM, generally it's a good idea to pair up matching pairs of RAM and to avoid mixing sets, so I'd buy the same 2GB kit, bear in mind though that you may need to increase the NB voltage a notch on your motherboard as it's under slightly more stress having 4 sticks as opposed to 2.

Quote Originally Posted by chaostehgreat
    Nvidia have still yet to release their DX11 cards and a 5870 1GB is far better value for money than anything Nvidia have out at present.

As for RAM, generally it's a good idea to pair up matching pairs of RAM and to avoid mixing sets, so I'd buy the same 2GB kit, bear in mind though that you may need to increase the NB voltage a notch on your motherboard as it's under slightly more stress having 4 sticks as opposed to 2.
    Alright sounds good. I'll try to order this stuff next week Thanks for the help friend.

Thread Information