Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 LastLast
    ....just came across this one and boy does it look good!!!

Crab Stuffing for Shrimp
    From the Kitchen of Deep South

I had picked up two packages of shrimp thinking that I would either make gumbo or fry them, but when I realized these were some of the larger shrimp, I knew they were gonna be used for something just a bit better. I thought very seriously about grilling them, but then remembered that I had not yet done a stuffed shrimp in a while. Besides. Once you get the image of a crab stuffed shrimp in your head, well, you're bound to have to go there!

So first things first, I would need to peel, devein and butterfly them. For stuffed shrimp, leave the end tip of the tail on - it makes a nicer presentation. There are basically two ways to butterfly shrimp, and either will work well for stuffed shrimp.

After you get them all nicely butterflied, you'll begin stuffing them - although it's really more a matter of placing stuffing on them than in them. I like to go ahead and lay them out on a sheet pan that has been sprayed with some non-stick spray as I butterfly them and then tuck the stuffing on them all at once after I've finished cleaning the whole lot of them.
    The stuffing I use is basically my regular crab stuffing that I use for crab cakes and stuffed crab, with a few minor changes, including the use of Ritz cracker crumbs. The Ritz crackers provide a nice, buttery flavor that only enhance the shrimp and I love the use of them here. No veggies in this mix though - only crackers, seasonings and crab. If there are "Vegans" coming over I'll just throw a carrot or two and a few stalks of celery on the Pit and let them have at it!

You will need the larger shrimp for this (16-22 count); the small ones are just not worth the time investment, but even large shrimp cook fairly fast, so I like to do these in a low and slow oven or pit/grill, just enough to warm through the stuffing thoroughly, but not overcook the shrimp. Then I run them under the broiler just a minute or so, only long enough to brown the top of the stuffing.
    You'll need to have everything else for your meal ready to go though, since these need to be served piping hot, right out of the oven or right off the Pit.
    These crab stuffed shrimp do take some prep time between cleaning and butterflying the shrimp and then molding and placing the stuffing, but they are worth every single second in my opinion. To make them a little better you may also want to drizzle a bit of extra melted butter over the stuffed shrimp before baking them, though for me I don't find that necessary as they are damn good as is!!

Crab Stuffed Shrimp

18-24 jumbo shrimp, peeled but with tail tip intact,
    deveined and butterflied
    1/2 pound of lump crabmeat
    1 sleeve of Ritz crackers (about 1 cup), crushed
    1/2 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama)
    Pinch salt
    6 turns of the pepper grinder
    1 teaspoon of fresh parsley, chopped
    1/2 cup of butter, melted (1 stick)
    Additional melted butter, to drizzle, optional

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spray a large sheet pan with non stick cooking spray and set aside.

Clean and devein the shrimp, leaving the very tale tip intact. Butterfly the shrimp. Rinse and drain well. Pick through the crabmeat to remove any cartilage or stray shell; set aside. Place the shrimp on the baking sheet.

Mix together the crushed crackers, Old Bay, Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper and parsley. Stir in the melted butter and mix until well combined. Add the crabmeat and lightly toss. Using approximately one tablespoon measure for each shrimp, form the stuffing into small oblong shaped bullets and press firmly into the butterflied shrimp. Bake at 250 degrees for 25 minutes.

Remove, turn the oven to broil and pass the shrimp under the broiler just long enough to brown, only about a minute. Keep watch over them! Plate and serve immediately.

....my darn mouth is watering just as much as I do when thinking about some "Redfish on the Halfshell"!!

....enjoy!!

.......sorry I haven't posted anything recently but since I retired back in December I have been pretty busy.
    Much busier than I actually was when I was working for that damned Phone Company to be honest!

.....I have been fishing a bit, popping wild hogs, and went over to LA to hunt Nutrea....as well as have a trip planned down to Cabo to fish for some nice fin fish. When I get settled I'll share some recipes that all of you can try out.
    If ya don't like it at least the dogs will eat good!!!

.....not going to post the recipe's I used just yet but wanted to share that this past weekend I along with the rest of the "Asleep at the Grill" BBQ Team entered the seafood cook off competition at the Galveston County Fair and Rodeo.
    We entered blackened Redfish, seafood rice, Gumbo, and some pretty trick shrimp.

.....We won 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th Places!!!

Not bad considering there were over 200+ teams that entered this past weekend. This coming Thursday we will be back at it again when the BBQ portion of the cook off starts. I'll post some pics probably later on this afternoon.

......been a while since I posted here in the thread, but will be cooking the same mix this coming September 21-23 down on the historic Strand in Galveston for the annual "Yaga's Shrimporee Cook Off". If any of you happen to make it down to the Island head on over for some really good eats!

INFO: http://www.yagaspresents.com/shrimpfestival/

EDIT: Just noticed that some friends of mine won 1st Place last year at this one...but we beat them out at the Galveston County BBQ Cook Off!!

1st - The Other Cookers Are Always in Heat

Thanks for the BarBQ; the rub; the pecans & the trees. He planted them today; made it home in one piece

Quote Originally Posted by EvilGenius
    Thanks for the BarBQ; the rub; the pecans & the trees. He planted them today; made it home in one piece
    .....that's good to hear! Hope the trees make it up there. The pecans are already starting to drop on some of the trees so in a few weeks he'll have to come back down and take a bunch again!!

....made some good sausage with the meat off the 14 wild hogs my friend brought back from his hunting lease last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/jDlMfzKQdC4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

If I ate pork I would try that. Looks good

Do you have anything in this thread on Texas style baked beans from scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    If I ate pork I would try that. Looks good

Do you have anything in this thread on Texas style baked beans from scratch?
    ....Paid, just picked up a couple of books that might have just what you are looking for. Will post when I find the recipe for you!

Sweet jesus that crab stuffed shrimp was amazing................

EPIC THREAD

Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 LastLast

Thread Information