Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan491
    Hi galveston340 Have you got any recipes for Ribs i just love em. 8)
    I'll get some up here this afternoon! As a matter of fact...as I read this I just came in as I have had the Pit going since early this morning. Smoking some turkeys for some friends. Might as well go pick up some ribs as well!

Here's one that you guys that don't have a Pit/Smoker can try out. Looks like it will work.

Texas Pork Spareribs

INGREDIENTS:
    4 racks pork spareribs
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    1/4 cup salt
    2 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
    3 tablespoons paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    4 cups ketchup
    3 cups hot water
    4 tablespoons brown sugar
    pinch cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup soaked wood chips

DIRECTIONS:
    Trim away any excess fat from ribs. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, black pepper, paprika, the 1 teaspoon of the cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Rub spice mix all over the ribs. Place the ribs in two 10x15 inch roasting pans, piling two racks of ribs per pan. Cover, and refrigerate for 8 or more hours.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Bake uncovered for 3-4 hours, or until the ribs are tender and just about falling apart fall apart.

For the barbeque sauce, remove 4-5 tablespoons of drippings from the roasting pans, and place in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in pan drippings until lightly browned. Stir in ketchup, and heat for 3 to 4 more minutes, stirring constantly. Next, mix in water and brown sugar, and season to taste with cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, adding water if it gets too thick.

Preheat grill for low heat. When grill is ready, add the soaked wood chips to the coals or to the smoker box of a gas grill. Spray grill's grate with a coat of cooking spray. Place ribs on the grill but do not overcrowd. Cook for 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Baste ribs with sauce during the last 10 minutes of grilling only so the sauce doesn't burn.

Here is another Rib recipe that spices up the flavor more to my tastes.

Chipotle Ribs

* 2 pounds beef ribs
    * For rub:
    * 1/3 cup brown sugar
    * 1 teaspoon chili powder
    * 1 teaspoon sea or Koscher salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * For sauce:
    * 1 bottle smoky barbecue sauce
    * 1/4 cup orange marmalade
    * 2 chipotle peppers, minced {Chipotle Peppers are Smoked!}
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 1 teaspoon Tabasco or other HOT sauce

Preparation:
    To prepare sauce: combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Let mixture come to a boil and then reduce and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Make sure marmalade is incorporated well into the sauce. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Preheat grill. In small bowl combine all rub ingredients. Trim off excess fat from beef ribs, cut into individual ribs, and apply rub all over. Place ribs on grill and allow to cook over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Use half of the chipotle sauce to baste ribs with every 15 minutes during cooking. Save the rest to serve with ribs.

Sounds GOOD!!

BUMP... oh i am sooo hungry lol

Quote Originally Posted by someaussieguy
    BUMP... oh i am sooo hungry lol
    SAG....get Your "Twice Time Shootgun" and get some birds...doesn't matter what kind as I was always told by my Dad "If you shoot it you have to eat it"...just be sure to stay within the law wherever you are {DOWNUNDER}...try this one on for size. It's a good recipe..

3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
    1 cup very warm water (almost hot)

Mix little biscuit dough. Knead 'til tough and dry - roll with rolling pin 'til very thin and cut into 2-inch strips.

(Clean birds according to information posted under recipe)
    BIRDS:
    25 black birds {CROWS Work Well!!} well covered with water
    3/4 lb. sausage (link) - optional

Cook until tender (at least 2 hours or 1 hour for large black birds or chicken). Salt and pepper to taste. When black birds are tender, keep broth at a rolling boil and drop in pastry - piece by piece, shaking pot constantly to keep pastry pieces separated. When all is in pot, place cover on and let cook for approximately 10 minutes. Let set for about ten more minutes. Then eat.

If you are unfamiliar with making pastry from scratch, you can substitute canned biscuits (roll individually with rolling pin). Or buy frozen pastry from bakery. If you use canned biscuits, let set for one-half hour and roll or flatten again to thinness desired.

Good Information and other stuff to remember:

Game birds offer the most varied and perhaps the most delicious wild meat. Ranging from the rich, tangy flavor of the miniature woodcock up to a magnificent wild turkey or Canada goose, they provide a range of flavor delicacy as wide as the variation of the sport in hunting for them. The quality and flavor of game birds, however, depends to a very large extent, on the care they receive after the hunter has popped them in the head....

The simple rules to follow are these: The birds should be gutted soon after they have been shot. The body heat should be allowed to cool as quickly as possible. The birds should be kept cool or at cold temperatures until they are to be cooked. Game birds should be bled, cleaned and cooled quickly after shooting. And as you clean them, be sure to remove the oil sacs at the base of the back near the tail.{HINT: JUST POP OUT THE BREAST MEAT}.. Also be sure to carry a portable ice chest to prevent the birds from going bad during the trip home.

When testing game birds to determine those which are young and tender, the stiffness of the bill is usually significant. If pheasants and grouse, for example, can be lifted by the lower jaw and nothing breaks, they are mature birds whose jaws are set. They will not be as tender and will require more cooking than the younger, less developed.

Game birds should be skinned if only the breast will be used or if they are tough and will be used in stews or casseroles. Otherwise, the birds should be plucked. This helps keep the meat more moist and tender.

{FORGET THIS....I just pop out the breast meat to take home....unless it's a goose or duck as the Game Wardens might bust you!}

Cut larger birds into pieces, the same as you would a chicken. You'll also find the livers from medium and large-sized birds are big enough to save and will taste very similar to chicken livers.

Here's another hint. Freezing a bird for a week or two will help tenderize it. Or you can leave it in the fridge and take it out when you remember to and give it a sprinkle or two of either lime or lemon juice as you squeeze a freshly cut half that you just cut.

NOTE about DUCKS: In the fall, ducks usually have fine- flavored meat, and any stuffing can be used with them. At other times of the year, they may be more strongly flavored and are improved by soaking the cleaned birds for 2-3 hours in fairly strong salted water to which 1 tsp. baking soda has been added. If ducks prepared this way are to be kept under refrigeration for a few days, after wiping them dry, put a few slices of onion in the body cavity. This will help remove the excess gamey taste, and the onion is to be discarded before the ducks are cooked.

However, like all game birds, ducks should be allowed to hang at a temperature just above freezing for at least 48 hours before they are cooked. The length of time and temperature at which they are allowed to hang beyond that period will control how "high" or gamey they are allowed to become. This should be determined by personal taste.

When preparing game birds, you can cook young birds by broiling, roasting, or in any of your other favorite recipes. But older birds should be stewed or braised to tenderize them. Or if you wish, you can try a commercial tenderizer. Just sprinkle the tenderizer in the body cavity of the bird and let the bird stand in the refrigerator. The amount of time the bird needs to remain in the refrigerator depends on the size of the bird. For example, a large bird such as a turkey, will need 12 to 24 hours for the tenderizer to work.

I usually take a tough bird and pop the breast meat off and then beat the crap out of it with a ball peen hammer before I apply the marinade.

If you're not sure how many servings you'll get from each bird this may help you:
    *1 serving =1 large Crow, 2 quail, 1-2 small Pigeons, 2-3 doves,3 Fruit Bats, or 1 small duck.
    *You can figure on at least 2 servings from 1 pheasant or 1 large duck.
    *A 4-6 lb. goose should feed 4-6 people.

Bon a Whatever! Remember..."If You Shoot it You Should EAT IT"!!!

Galveston340
    Resident "Chef of the Unknown"

if only wee were alowed guns over here... well we are but **** it aint worth the shit u gotta go through over here lol.... and man that looks nice da-destroyer is prolly writing down the recipes as i type this lol

Single Cheat: Counter Strike Global Offensive
    Start: 08/25/2014
    End: 09/24/2014

Tried the Chipotle Ribs recipe on lamb chops and cutlets for christmas and god damn that was good

Beef cheeks. Make them, enjoy them.

I sure do, eh Galv.

Quote Originally Posted by jst2good
    Tried the Chipotle Ribs recipe on lamb chops and cutlets for christmas and god damn that was good
    Glad it was good for you jst2good! That's what I do from time to time....try something different by mixing up the ingredients and you never know what you will end up with when it comes off the pit.

OK...Sooner than we all know it will start to warm up...Even though we are supposedly experiencing "Global Warming"!

If you fellow members have any requests for ANY recipe I might have concerning anything that used to walk and you might either purchase or legally harvest {KILL}..feel free to post your requests here starting now.

If you already have a preferred method of cooking your favorite smoked meats please post what you know works as well. You don't have to own or use a big BBQ Pit like I do to share your favorite recipe with us here.

We have members from all over the globe and I am sure that there are others here that have a good recipe that reflects both their country of residence...as well as their culture and tastes that we fellow members would like to try out when it warms up here in the northern part of the world.

Please try to keep the recipes on the the topic of either BBQ or Smoked Meats...ie, slow cooking as that is what I am most familiar with here in Texas! Of course...if you have a good recipe or method of cooking over a back yard grill feel free to share them here as well...

Thanks and get ready for some "Good Eats"!!!!

OK...it is hotter than all get out down where some of our members live in Australia and other parts of the world.

...but it is almost time here in a few weeks to fire up the "Pits" here.

Down here in Texas on the coast I have most of the Pecan split and ready to be dried out...so it's time to "get 'er done" as they say on TV. If you guys and gals are ready to cook with some smoke it's time once again to get this show on the road!

..BTW...too cold to cook outside tonight so it's "galveston's Texas Fried Chicken"

Here is how I do it...

Chicken Leg Quarters: One or two bags.
    Granulated Garlic: some
    Onion Powder: some
    Salt: Use Sea salt
    Pepper: I just used dried and powdered Habenero Pepper.

Here is how I do it.

Take your regular "yard bird" and get the leg quarters in the big bag that is on sale these days at the store of your choice.

Separate the legs from the thighs as I do....Save the drumsticks for some other feast!

Go to the store and cop a bottle or carton of buttermilk.

In a large or medium size container pour in the buttermilk along with the thighs and let them soak for as long as you can.

In another container mix this...

Flour.....'nuff as you think you might need....
    Garlic {granulated} 'nuff as you think to make it good!
    Onion Powder...just a little less than the Garlic...
    Salt: ......just a touch.

And here is what I use for pepper...
    pepper: Dried and smoked habanero chile powder. Just enough to where it gets me to sneezing!

In a big fry pan heat your oil of choice to 350f....and after rolling your milk soaked chicken in the flower/spice mixture put each piece in the pan making sure that you keep the temps up.

Cook a full pan for 20minutes with the cover on the pan...turn....and cook once again over medium heat covered.

When you think it's done you remove the cover and finish cooking the chicken on medium/high heat so it gets crunchy!

Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information