Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
    ...it's so dry down here in Texas that the only peanuts you are going to get out of the ground are by this time looking like they ought to be on exhibit in a paleontology museum. Damn cracks in the ground five to six inches across I have seen lately....

salad

Galv you always have the best meat recipes so I thought I would add a cold salad. This is a word of mouth hand me down one I have been tweeking and writing down. See what you think and add suggestions the ingrediants may sound wierd but it tastes good in the end.

Pepper and Bean Salad (or Dip)

1 53 OZ Can of Van Camps Pork and Beans (they are the best to me)
    6 eggs
    8 OZ Cream Cheese
    1 cup diced (about 1/3 ea. red, yellow, orange or green bell peppers, mix the colors for looks)
    ½ cup diced sweet pickles or gherkins
    ½ cup diced red onion
    2 Jalapeño Peppers de-seeded and finely diced (but only if you want heat, its good without them)

Drain the beans and place in a large mixing bowl. Hard boil the eggs. While the eggs are boiling finely dice the bell peppers and sweet pickles. The amount of each is by taste, but I know I prefer a little more of the yellow pepper than the green. Now add the chopped ingredients to the cream cheese and mix. This will soften the cream cheese before adding it to the beans. After the eggs are cooked and cooled, dice them also and add everything to the bowl. If it is too runny (even after draining the beans) you can use something like Wondra to thicken it up some.
    For me, as a salad, this is about enough for 6-8 people.

....thanks for the contribution! This sounds like it would make a good dip down here!

...thought this a bit amusing! Might want to ship this "roach-coach" overseas to ward off the Taliban?!!!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdIT9A8g1v8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390">

...how about some Taco's!!...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YYxO3Y-wOrM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390">

...be sure and check out the "Calorie Counter" in the above video!!

Galv

I never see you on MSNM. send me your address again in PM so I can try to add you again. Miss our talks :cry:

Anyway, I don't know if you have one listed here:

Please, I could really use a good non-Cajun Salmon receipt. Will be cooking it on the range. I have this uncontrollable urge for salmon and I have never cooked it before.

Thank you, Chef Galveston

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
    Paid drive down to Ga,go to Jimmy's house. I'm sure Rosyln has a receipe.
    LOL - I could drive down the road to the farmers market and ask them. I have to get there soon and get peaches and plums before they are out of season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    Galv

I never see you on MSNM. send me your address again in PM so I can try to add you again. Miss our talks :cry:

Anyway, I don't know if you have one listed here:

Please, I could really use a good non-Cajun Salmon receipt. Will be cooking it on the range. I have this uncontrollable urge for salmon and I have never cooked it before.

Thank you, Chef Galveston
    ... "a good non-Cajun Salmon receipt." as far as my friends over the other side of the Sabine River that live in the Delta way south of New Orleans would cost you a bag of mudbugs, two hefty chickens, as well as three nice flounder and two slot Redfish.
    .....I can't remember the last time I ate Salmon as it brings back memories from when I was a kid over a hundred years ago and Mom would make those "Salmon Croquets" or whatever they were called. never ate any since then!
    ...as well "Paid", if i don't catch the fish my self I am not too trustworthy of where in the heck it came from as far as water quality. I have enough foreign chemicals in my body already and don't need to add any more unless it is something I have grown myself.

....AFTER I RETIRE of course!! 8)

....since my Habanero peppers are now finally getting nice and ripe as well as my Jalapeno's I thought I'd share this recipe for some salsa. I also add some fresh carrots that have been run through the food processor to give it some more nice orange color as well as the sweetness of the carrots blends nicely with the heat from the peppers!

You can make this with just all Habanero peppers or substitute some fresh jalapeno peppers if you want to back the heat down to your liking as well.

--== Habanero Salsa ==--

5 habanero peppers (Or 1 Hab and 4 Japs)
    3 medium tomatoes
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
    4 garlic cloves
    1 dash black pepper
    salt, to taste
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions:

1. NOTE: Remove seeds from peppers and the sauce will be a little hot. Leave seed and it should be pretty firey.
    2. Finely chop and combine all fresh ingredients except garlic. Press garlic into mixture. Add salt, pepper, oregano and tomato sauce. Mix well. This can be pulsed in the food processor if you want a smoother texture.

This recipe is good on fresh home made tortilla chips as well as goes really good on chicken that you might want to throw on the grill and serve like you would in a tortilla.

...here is another one that sounds good from out of Austin. This recipe was based on one by Jill Lewis, first-place winner in the Special Variety category at the 2008 Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival. Adding the mangoes after puréeing gives this salsa a chunky texture.

--==Mango–Habanero Salsa==--

3 tbsp. canola oil
    3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
    3 tomatillos, husked and washed
    3 tomatoes, cored
    1 red bell pepper
    1 yellow bell pepper
    2 orange habanero chile
    1 poblano chile
    1⁄2 medium white onion
    1⁄2 cup minced red onion
    1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
    1 large mango, peeled, pitted,
    and cut into 1⁄4" cubes
    Kosher salt, to taste

1. Heat oven to broil; place a rack 6" from the heating element. Put the first 9 ingredients into a large bowl and toss. Transfer ingredients to a foil-lined baking sheet; broil, turning a few times, until blistered, 10–12 minutes. Transfer all but the peppers and chiles to a bowl; let cool. Continue broiling peppers and chiles until soft, 3–5 minutes. Let steam in a covered bowl for 15 minutes.

--== SAFETY NOTE!! DO NOT try and peel or seed HABANERO PEPPERS using your bare hands!! USE GLOVES! IF you use bare hands DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PRIVATES or YOUR EYES!! ==--

2. Peel garlic and stem, seed, and peel peppers and chiles; transfer all broiled vegetables to a food processor; process until finely chopped. Transfer salsa to a bowl and stir in red onions, cilantro, lime juice, and mangoes; season with salt.

MAKES ABOUT 5 CUPS

....another classic take from my good friend "Papercuts777"! his take on the "King Club" sandwich...

...WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE as USUAL!!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yMOj06bSpfg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390">

....was reading a Texas Monthly magazine this afternoon and was reminded that their website has a pretty good BBQ section. If you are ever down in these parts or if you are one of the chosen few that are fortunate enough to live here in Texas check out the BBQ page for some good reviews as well as where to get some of the best BBQ in the state!

Link: http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/joints

...Always Remember. When you want to bring a Vegan back from the "darkside" bacon is the gateway meat!!

Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast

Thread Information