Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuke
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpascas
    BBQin is a real scient !

as i know its all 'bout the right temp and the perfect timing!
    Well yes, all that ......... but also remembering to not try to cook beans while they are still sealed inside the can! :lol:
    ....so true...don't to end up looking like me if the can explodes!! 8)

OK Need help on this one Galv. Never have done it.

For memorial day BBQ I am roasting a whole suckling pig. .. :lol: I dont know where to start. How to season or how to configure my heat. I am going to do it on my smoker/grill?

Should I use low or highdirect heat or smoke it overnight? Should I wrap it in banana leaves or aluminum?

Have you roasted a whole pig before?

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    OK Need help on this one Galv. Never have done it.

For memorial day BBQ I am roasting a whole suckling pig. .. :lol: I dont know where to start. How to season or how to configure my heat. I am going to do it on my smoker/grill?

Should I use low or highdirect heat or smoke it overnight? Should I wrap it in banana leaves or aluminum?

Have you roasted a whole pig before?

....I usually smoke them using indirect heat as the firebox is on one end of my pit..but you can also use direct heat as well. I'll dig through my bag of tricks and give you some spice options and as a matter of fact see if my little brother is back from West Texas and see what he suggests. Heck,he might even have one of those little devils I can talk him out of as last year he shot 180+ wild hogs on his 5000 acre lease just west of me...

That would be cool thanks. I live near Tyler, I live in Whitehouse on Lake Tyler. Would love to come on down and help take care of the hog population. :lol:

Yeah, Im only going to do a 20 pound suckling, so Ill go with the indriect heat and smoke it. So... What would you prefer Red Oak? Pecan? I dont want that intense smoke flavor that hickory does.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    That would be cool thanks. I live near Tyler, I live in Whitehouse on Lake Tyler. Would love to come on down and help take care of the hog population. :lol:

Yeah, Im only going to do a 20 pound suckling, so Ill go with the indriect heat and smoke it. So... What would you prefer Red Oak? Pecan? I dont want that intense smoke flavor that hickory does.
    ...use the wood that you have and make a good bed of coals....""DO NOT USE CHARCOAL BRIQUETS!!".....

....keep the temp at around 180f and no higher than 200f.....for 20lbs go for about three or four hours in the smoke...then wrap it with some tin foil...
    ....use my tried and true method of three,two,one....Three hours in the smoke....two wrapped....and one full on to make sure that you get the skin to be like "cracklin's".....

....NO SAUCE should be put on the beast...only thing you should use is perhaps a sprayer that you can pick up at the Dollar Store to at the end keep it moist if needed...
    ...USE APPLE JUICE!!

....late here tonight but will get in touch with my little Brother and get his "Tips and Tricks" as he does this all the time....

Post some of those exotic secret recipe galv!

Thanks Galveston. It is much appreciated. I forgot about the apple juice. I cant wait to peel open the steaming hot head for the goodies inside.

.....I have my rigs and yard birds thawed out and in the fridge for smoking tomorrow......no hog though...but came across this video that gives the basics of cooking a hog. I'll see if I can come up with the spices you want to use....but this guy did it right...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oh1MASnPwVI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="480"></object>

...as far as the prep for the pig you can rub it down with canola oil and use one of my dry rubs on both the inside as well as the outside...

Here is what the guy that made the video says about Apple Juice...

""A mop sauce is a combination of apple cider vinegar and water. It flavors the meat and keeps it from drying out. Apple is a popular flavor for pork...when you smoke ribs you want to "mop" the vinegar/water "sauce" over the meat. When doing a pig you want to inject the meat with the mop sauce and then leave it alone. ""

OOOOoooo nice find.

....on today's menu we have three racks of ribs. Two St. Louis cut racks and one baby back slab....and three drunk chickens.....Put the ribs on at 13:00 and the chickens at 15:00....since I don't have my usual cameraman I'll just try and wing it. Videos coming up later this evening.... 8)

Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast

Thread Information