Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by someaussieguy
    wow man ur the best =)
    Glad you like this thread! Here is some advice that I can also give....

COOK TIME and TEMP

Depending on what you are going to cook I say this...if it's Steaks cook 'em hot and fast... BUT watch them as some folks like steaks that are still trying to get away from the darn pit/grill. I had a friend that used to just warm the steaks over some good pecan smoke infused fire and when he handed that thing to me to try I went to my truck, got my 9mm...and shot the steak right off my paper plate...and once everyone saw that I wasn't going insane on them I walked over and cooked the damn thing myself. RAW MEAT is either for cooking more....or if it's SUSHI...fish bait! Cook your meats properly to ensure that your guests are treated to a safe meal....and to prevent lawsuits!!

I cook my meats slow and low. Briskets go all the way up to 200 degrees...pork I cook slow at the max 180-190 degrees and you can put a shoulder on at 180...go hunt some more wild hogs...and get back and the stuff will be just cruising along. I put a shoulder on with two pork loins with Pecan at 190 the night before I was going Hog hunting with my little brother and forgot them.....next day when I woke up late since it had been a long night of bleeding and cleaning feral hogs I remembered that I had some stuff on the smoker. Panic set in....but when I popped the lid the stuff looked choice! So the trick with pork or anything you want to have that good smoke ring on is to cook it hot enough to cook....but not hot enough to dry the crap out of it.

....I have the pit fired up right now as I have some "green" Pecan wood that needs to be dried out and I have been a couple of days without my neighbors seeing smoke coming out of the stack!

Some folks I have seen on TV say they like to use "green" wood to smoke...but I have found that if the wood is well dried...or "cured"...you don't have to worry about getting that bitter "creosote" taste that some folks end up getting when they either use too much smoke and not enough heat...or the wood is still wet. I let my wood sit outside at least five months in the weather to dry it out...and then still dry it in the smoker section of my pit to make sure that it is really dry! BEST TIP I can give today is to NEVER use charcoal briquets if you can help it as most are full of who knows what! If you are able try and get that old fashioned lump charcoal as it burns much hotter....lasts longer...and never has that funky taste that briquets can give your creations as most have some clay...wax...and other stuff that has no business being around a fire. IF you can't get anything else I would recommend taking the time to burn some hardwood well before you are going to be ready to cook and that way you have an all natural bed of coals to work with...and when you are finished cooking you can kill the fire with some water and re-use the charcoal you have another day!

....more to come!

Galveston340

Nice grill!

....sweet! Might have to do something with this pit via Photoshop...LOL

You guys have any questions to ask about BBQ....or any requests on recipes/methods I use to cook anything from "pretty fresh" roadkill to fish feel free to ask. I'll try to post what I know here so that I can give back to the community here....and if I haven't tried to cook it I'll ask some of my friends that cook in competitions what they recommend. Of course, they aren't going to tell me exactly what they do on their prize winning recipes...but that is half the fun in trying out what they have left out!

...more to come...

Galveston340

got any good new ones?

got any good new ones?
    What you looking to cook SAG? Just got home and have to work this weekend as well but if you give me an idea of what you are wanting to put the sparks to I am sure I have something around here that will point you in the right direction.

ummm something easy as mum isnt home maybe something with stuff found around the house?

thanks man

ummm something easy as mum isnt home maybe something with stuff found around the house?

thanks man
    want somthing easy??? try some stuffed porkchops, 1" thick ones, some fried redskin potatoes, brocolli w/ cheese on it, and a romane salad.... yummy!...
    here is a link to someone I admire, Galveston knows of him as well...
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/de...earchType=site

nice thanks man

thanks man
    What Ya got in the fridge/freezer? You sound like me when I get home after some long hours...."What am I gonna cook?". Been especially bad here lately as I have eaten up all my frozen pre-Hurricane IKE BBQ that I had stashed in the freezer. ...so last week or so been having to spark up some grub fast...

SAG...what you got to work with? I'm on the case but you have to let me know what you have there dude!

here is another kick a$$ website, I have gotten MANY recipies from, Galveston I am sure you know of this one, if not give it a look, I found the BEST veal recipe on it! yummmmm veal!

http://www.cooks.com/

Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread Information