resolution issues

recently my old monitor packed up (billowed out a whole ton of smoke and caught fire!) and in its place i now have a wide screen HD TV.

now my problem is every time I start my machine there seems to be a lottery going on.

most times my comp will have the highest resollution possible set at 1440x900 and yet other times it is 1600x1200

is there someway i can fix it so it stays one way or the other?

Senior Member Banned User killme1's Avatar

Re: resolution issues

Quote Originally Posted by Ichindar
    recently my old monitor packed up (billowed out a whole ton of smoke and caught fire!) and in its place i now have a wide screen HD TV.

now my problem is every time I start my machine there seems to be a lottery going on.

most times my comp will have the highest resollution possible set at 1440x900 and yet other times it is 1600x1200

is there someway i can fix it so it stays one way or the other?
    Ichindar

Here's a handy guide from jiimii21

Make sure to uninstall and reinstall the drivers correctly.
    Here is a handy guide just to make sure you do it correctly.

How to properly uninstall and reinstall video drivers

The main thing you need to do when upgrading or rolling back a video driver is to run a cleaner program in safe mode to remove all the left over traces of that driver in the registry.
    I uninstall mine using Add/Remove programs. When it asks if you want to reboot choose no. Go back and delete the folder that had the driver in it. Example: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA\266.34 - Delete the 266.34 folder.
    Go down to Start and open "Run" - type in msconfig and hit enter.
    Click the 2nd tab "Boot" and tick the box next to "safe mode" and then ok.

The PC will boot into safe mode. Run the Driver Sweeper program, only ticking the box next to Display for your brand of GPU (nVidia or ATI). After the Sweeper program is finished, go back to start and "run" type in msconfig and hit enter. The first tab is named General, below it tick the box beside "Normal Startup" and OK.

Once you reboot into windows disable any anti-virus programs you might have running before installing the new driver, now you can install the display driver without worry of any left over traces of the previous driver left in the registry. I use this program for the Driver Cleaning.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...-Sweeper.shtml

Let us know if the new drivers help!!

Depending on your video card, you may have a setting in it that is changing.

If you use Nvidia for example, you would want to open the Nvidia control panel, then goto the resolution settings and make sure it is set to the desired choice.
    Make sure you save the settings before you close the control panel

Thread Information