My internet speed

So my family and I just moved into this new house about a month ago and we are paying for a 18mb/sec connection with ATT. I ran multiple speed tests with every computer in the house and all of them except mine are getting close to what we are paying for(16mb/sec). I'm using a desktop and the rest of the family members are using laptops. I've tried running the test while I was the only one using the network, turned off all smartphones and still getting less than 10mb/sec. My PC is connected to the wall which is connected to the switch in the room where the modem is located. I've tried calling ATT about this and they have no clue on how this could be fixed(ATT tech support is terrible in my opinion anyways). Anyone have any ideas at what the problem could be and how to solve this issue?

Senior Member Banned User killme1's Avatar
    HAy oneeagle1103 , why don't you purchase CAt 6 cable for your lan line , It will improve your speed somewhat and it's inexpensive, 6 dollers US..

The ATT technician "made" some when he was here setting up the network. I purchased a 200 ft cable a while back. I might switch it to that but I dont see how it will help when all I used in the previous house was the same cable the ATT tech gave me...

ATT Tech came out today and had to replace our switch. Guess it "was worn out" but on the up side, they replaced it free of charge, and now im getting the speed that we are paying for. I had a sneaky feeling it was the switch that needed to be replaced...

Thread Information