upgrading laptops GPU?

hellos

just damn , i searched 100000 times on google just to get info if its possible to upgrade my GPU on my laptop , but no use , and please dont tell me to get new more advanced gaming laptop , cuz my dad will kill me if he see am playin instead of studin XD , so heres my specs , and please if anybody here got experience with this , HELP MEEE

cpu : Core i7 720QM , 1.60 ghz
    gpu : nvidia geforce gt 230m <------- suxxxxxxxxxxx
    ram :4GB
    64bit OS
    HP PAVILLION DV6

YEP , my dad tracks my credit card , thx to paypal , AM invincible

:mrgreen:

Re: upgrading laptops GPU?

techboomer,

Unfortunately, graphics adapters in most notebooks (including yours), are not upgradable or replaceable. The GPUs in most notebook PC's are now a part of the mainboard.

, then only solution get a new one , today also talked to a tech forum guy , he told me theres a solution , and its bringin out the gpu on the main board and he said its very very risky , so better not to touch it ,and thx for the help m8

If you can hold on a few months, ATI is coming out with a new revamp of its old external graphics card.

You will need an external GFX card. up to now they really wasnt worth it. But, ATI is (from what I have read) to release a GFX card for external use. They claimed to have fixed the issues with ext cards...we will see.

Price tag will be high from what I have seen...around $700

with that out of the way, if you have a ExpressCard slot on your laptop you can use a external docking plate and just buy any GPU you want for a desk top and use it. I had a set up like that several years ago when a ExpressCard slot was on all laptops.

here is a recent article explaining more about it.

Code:
    http://lifehacker.com/5851902/turn-a-low+powered-laptop-into-a-gaming-machine-with-an-external-video-card-dock

Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    If you can hold on a few months, ATI is coming out with a new revamp of its old external graphics card.

You will need an external GFX card. up to now they really wasnt worth it. But, ATI is (from what I have read) to release a GFX card for external use. They claimed to have fixed the issues with ext cards...we will see.

with that out of the way, if you have a ExpressCard slot on your laptop you can use a external docking plate and just buy any GPU you want for a desk top and use it. I had a set up like that several years ago when a ExpressCard slot was on all laptops.

Code:
    http://lifehacker.com/5851902/turn-a-low+powered-laptop-into-a-gaming-machine-with-an-external-video-card-dock
    Just check with your Laptop manufacturer first, as sometimes they don't allow you to turn off the internal GPU in BIOS, which you would have to do to be able to use an external one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paid

Code:
    well thats great news , also i got express card slot , but HP staff told me that the external gpu wont work on its full performance , 700$ will do for me , but a gamin laptop like 3000$ will turn my parents into cia investigators :mrgreen:

and snuke already contacted HP support and will talk to them about this one again , and thankkkkk uuu very much for the helppp
    thxxxx

EDIT : i meant HP told me external dock wont give u full speed of the attached external gpu , but i hope the one u talkin about will be new thing

Any reason why you can't build your own rig? For $1000, you can build a pretty stout gaming rig. Or are you just happy using laptops?

no external card will ever compare to an internal one. To many bottle necks but it is better than on board.

I would seriously just consider building a gaming desktop for $800 or so dollars. You can do a pretty good AMD system for around $800. It wont be the fastest but it is upgradeable down the road.

i know , but i cant rig a new one , cuz i need laptop , too many travels , also i buy only best laptop exist in stores , when i bought this one , no even knew what was i7 processor and the gpu was the best in that time , my purpose is to get sumthin unqiue which will help me to use for at least 4 years , thats why i get the best one for the longest usage time .. my english kinda weird but i hope u guys understand me ..

well one choice a head for me and its gettin a new one then .... ill find sum excuses , and hope my dad wont kill me :mrgreen:

alenware m17x all the way , wish me luck , and thx

Thread Information