Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amd or Intel?

Amd or Intel?

K first, lets not make this a bashing of either or, plz! My question is shit where do i start. I use the pc for gaming and media watching. For awihle there i was really into OC hardware and ive been eyeballing the 2600k for a few months now. Im fightinig back and fourth in my head about the cost involved in switching from Amd to Intel. With my setup Im getting about average 77fps playing at 1920x1080 which i think is very decent right. I think i want the Intel for bench marking and OCing. Do you think the extra 50-100 fps (guessing) is worth the cost of switching?? Quick someone push me over the ledge!!! lol. Seriously though what's your thoughts?

If your curious
    Windows 7 64
    Cpu>955BE @3.8mhz
    Asus m4a78t-3
    2x2gig 1333mhz
    6870 1gig
    OCZ 850watt

With only a cpu upgrade I dont think you will get that much more Fps.
    When deciding take into consideration that if you go Intel you will need a new MOBO and maybe RAM.
    Been running Amd 1090T for a while now and has had no problems with it, Cool thing about Amd is they dont make you change your Mobo when they release a new cpu :wink:

All I can really say is, My current i7's have never done me any wrong and I could not be happier. Though my input may not be very valid because I have never run with an AMD Chipset..

I have thought about switching out of curiosity but I decided not to because of the hardcore AMD and Intel fans. It's hard to get real input on the two devices when all people do is boast and brag and from what I think, lie about too. weather it is people lying about how good one is or how bad the other is.

If you can find a legitimate article comparing the two chipsets without the guy boasting for one or the other I would shake your hand.

I guess just hunt down specs for the two?

Edit: spelling

Thanks for the posts guys. Ya i don't know hands down Intel for pure "HP" I just get awe strucked i guess you can say on how well the 1155 oc's. Im willing to bet the cpu/nb/ram would set me back 550-700.00 depending you know. However I guess the flip side is having 1x decent and like, having "the toy". Think i might wait till boxing day, hoping some killer sales come up.

Why not the new 8core AMD?
    Not as pricy and runs cooler.
    Now I wont say anymore for Intel lovers will always fight against AMD guys.

With intel you will need a complete over haul. The sandy bridge by intel seems to be a good buy and will OC like a beast. You will need a new motherboard and I would upgrade to a GTX5xx to get the most out of it. Also, you will need triple ram...

Since you have a good base set up now- you could save money and go with the 1100T AMD, crosshair V motherboard and throw another 6970 on there and be doing pretty good for around $550

by the way, if you upgrade I would love to buy that 955 off of you :wink:

Look at my profile. I have no problem running any games on here at max. AMD has the 990fx boards now, so you can have your pick of Nvidia or ATI. I really commend them for doing this. This has really changed the MOBO race as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    With intel you will need a complete over haul. The sandy bridge by intel seems to be a good buy and will OC like a beast. You will need a new motherboard and I would upgrade to a GTX5xx to get the most out of it. Also, you will need triple ram...

Since you have a good base set up now- you could save money and go with the 1100T AMD, crosshair V motherboard and throw another 6970 on there and be doing pretty good for around $550

by the way, if you upgrade I would love to buy that 955 off of you :wink:
    lol noted I would go for 6 or 8 core, but would i really use it is the question. That 1100T bought locally is 209.99. hmmm think i'd rather save that 210 and sink into into the 1155 route. See more cores is good for people doing alot of video editing and what not no? Also it might just be me, butr there gonna be some sort of new stayle MB/Bios that will be comming out. A clan mate was saying something about this. in terms of gpu, to be honest I love this 6870 price/performance is spot on, think i might just get another for crossfire. I know again nivida cards for all out Hp, I personally just can't justify the price/performance,heat, and power that goes along with the 500 series. Think im really leaning towards the 1155

Quote Originally Posted by Tperk
    lol noted I would go for 6 or 8 core, but would i really use it is the question. That 1100T bought locally is 209.99. hmmm think i'd rather save that 210 and sink into into the 1155 route. See more cores is good for people doing alot of video editing and what not no? Also it might just be me, butr there gonna be some sort of new stayle MB/Bios that will be comming out. A clan mate was saying something about this. in terms of gpu, to be honest I love this 6870 price/performance is spot on, think i might just get another for crossfire. I know again nivida cards for all out Hp, I personally just can't justify the price/performance,heat, and power that goes along with the 500 series. Think im really leaning towards the 1155
    I have no idea why people say the gtx 5XX series runs super hot, I've got a 3-way SLI configuration with three 3GB EVGA GTX 580's and I run everything on the highest settings and hardly hit 60C and I'm still air cooled. Just confuses me because I have not had any issue with heat even though the cards are pretty much having a very close and sensual threesome. lol that has to make them heat up. lol
    Maybe I just got lucky with the three best working graphics cards in the world. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by stiltz85
    Quote Originally Posted by Tperk
    I have no idea why people say the gtx 5XX series runs super hot, I've got a 3-way SLI configuration with three 3GB EVGA GTX 580's and I run everything on the highest settings and hardly hit 60C and I'm still air cooled. Just confuses me because I have not had any issue with heat even though the cards are pretty much having a very close and sensual threesome. lol that has to make them heat up. lol
    Maybe I just got lucky with the three best working graphics cards in the world. :wink:
    Just for the record, Im in no way attacking/bashing your setup, I'd love to have it. All im saying is in GENERAL more power=more heat. Hell even the 1.5gig 580 under load uses about 100more watts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information