Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Green Machine: It's all coming together now.

Hello all, I just wanted to talk about the new rig. As one would assume, a new rig = excitement and let's just say that I am pretty excited!! :mrgreen:

I am currently building my very first monster and it has been very costly and time consuming (Mainly due to shipping :| ). But I am currently typing from it as we speak... or type... whatever. Haha!

But anyways lets get down to the grits, here is what I have so far...

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Assassin
    Processor: Intel i7 990X Extreme Edition
    RAM: Corsair Vengence 6 X 4GB 240-pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
    Graphics: X2 EVGA GTX 580 3072MB in SLi
    PSU: Corsair Professional Gold AX1200

You may have noticed that there is not a case in that list. Well, it turns out that it is pretty hard to get cases sent to APO addresses.. BUT, I have a Coolermaster HAF X Nvidia Edition ordered and I hope to have it here before Christmas (Doubtful but one can dream, right?)
    So the set up is pretty much sitting on a home made workbench i.e. a cardboard box with PCIe cut outs. I know, sounds awesome, huh? 8)
    And I have plenty more on order too, I just ordered a third GTX 580 about a week ago, a full kit of sleeved wires for the case when it gets here, some some 6GB sata 3 cables, and a Ram fan (because one of my Vengence sticks came a little beat up and I am too lazy to RMA but I don't want to look at it.)
    And just about 20 minutes ago I ordered 3 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 waterblocks and a EVGA 3-way SLi waterblock bridge (all for under $500 USD!)

I don't know about you guys but I am pumped! I plan on going for a green theme with the case and LED's. Luckily I do my own solder work so whatever isn't green I can change. :wink:

So far with what I got right now (the first list) these are my 3DMark Vantage results: http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3709669
    Never used this program before so I am not sure if it is a decent score for my build or not but it is only air cooled right now and just slightly OC'd, I plan on overclocking a lot more once I start to water cool it.
    And same story with my PCMark 7 results: http://3dmark.com/pcm7/219765
    Again, my first time using this benchmark so I am not sure if the scores are all that great for my build.

Let me know what you think!
    Advice? Flame? I don't care, anything goes. 8)

looks like you will be having fun for a long time. If you get the best and latest from the start you will not have to upgrade for many years. I still use one I built 5 years ago and it still runs all the latest games.

Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    looks like you will be having fun for a long time. If you get the best and latest from the start you will not have to upgrade for many years. I still use one I built 5 years ago and it still runs all the latest games.
    That's the plan! :wink:

I despise I-7's... but it looks pretty good, do I dare ask how much your total is looking like right now? My "monster" was built this year for around $2200... only that expensive because I made it..FABULOOOOOOOUS!

Only thing Ill need to eventually buy is a new graphics card. Everything else will be fine for at least 5 years

With the purchase of the 3 water blocks today it just put me over $5k. :cry:

Edit: And I am going to have to get rid of my brand new PSU, I don't think it can support 3-way SLI and water cooling on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonov
    I despise I-7's... but it looks pretty good, do I dare ask how much your total is looking like right now? My "monster" was built this year for around $2200... only that expensive because I made it..FABULOOOOOOOUS!
    Looking at the build so far- in the USA that would be around $3000 listed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonov
    Looking at the build so far- in the USA that would be around $3000 listed so far.
    I wish!
    (Note to self: ask Paid where he gets the deals in 5 years)

Okay, quick update. My third 580 came today and things seem to be running great so far! I was afraid that I might have a few RMA's with this build but I seem to be pretty lucky so far!

New 3D Mark Vantage Score of P48104
    http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3717659

Quote Originally Posted by stiltz85
    Okay, quick update. My third 580 came today and things seem to be running great so far! I was afraid that I might have a few RMA's with this build but I seem to be pretty lucky so far!

New 3D Mark Vantage Score of P48104
    http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3717659
    You built your PC already, cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information